One-Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice
I am officially obsessed with one-pot rice dinners!! After making the Chicken Bacon Ranch Rice last month I realized the base of the recipe could be used with so many different flavors, sauces and veggies. So an enchilada version was just an obvious choice. This one-pot meal tastes like a bowl of chicken enchilada comfort but it’s also packed with bell peppers, cauliflower and kale! Now all this talk about enchilada has me thinking, what is your favorite dish at a mexican restaurant? I love enchiladas but I can’t do a full plate. I love a chicken enchilada & taco combo plate with a large margarita on the side. Oh wow do I miss the days of going out to restaurants! Matt and I went on our first date in over a year this weekend and it was so dang fun. I cannot wait till this pandemic is over and we can make dates a more regular thing! But until then we will keep making delicious food at home. Okay we will do that forever but you know what I mean!
We can all use quick delicious filling meals, so we have a few more for you to try:
Pin the image below to save this One-Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice for later!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb chopped chicken breasts (raw) chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Place a pot (like a dutch oven) over medium heat and add oil.
- Place in onions and bell peppers and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Remove the bell peppers and onion and set aside.
- Place the chicken in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Return peppers and onions to pot and add rice, chicken stock, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a slight boil, then lower the heat to low.
- To make enchilada sauce combine tomato sauce, 2 tbsp chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, onion powder and ¼ tsp salt.
- Add chopped cauliflower and enchilada sauce to the pot and mix to combine, then cover.
- Cook covered for 35 min, checking halfway through to stir.
- Then remove the lid, add kale and cook for another 5 minutes uncovered.
- If using cheese, sprinkle it on top and either let sit to melt, or place under the broiler for 30 seconds – 1 minute to melt.