Healthier Samoa Bars
THESE BARS!!! I love Girl Scout cookies. And i really love Samoas. So I wanted to make an easy bar version that used cleaner ingredients you can feel good about! The bottom shortbread layer is simple and almond flour based and the caramel is beyond easy to make because I perfected it for the microwave. Making caramel is a scary thing on a stove top if you aren’t familiar with it and don’t want to have to pay too much attention (hello toddler at my ankles). So this caramel is a combo of coconut sugar, honey, sweetened condensed coconut milk, ghee, vanilla and just a pinch of salt. The sweetened condensed coconut milk is a must, I got mine at sprouts but it is also at whole foods, walmart and online! I love that cleaner things like this are popping up so we can make delicious treats that aren’t way too overly processed. Once you make the easy shortbread and caramel, you just layer them and drizzle on chocolate and then once they are cooled, slice and dip in some more chocolate!
The perfect consistency!!
Can’t wait to hear what you think of these!!
We have lots more Grain Free treats on the site:
Pin the image below to save this Healthier Samoa Bars recipe for later!
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil (at room temp)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup ghee, melted
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper (helps to spray the pan with oil so the paper sticks!). In a large bowl combine almond flour, egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and ½ tsp salt. Once evenly combined, pour into the prepared pan and press it down evenly. It will be a thin layer! Use moist hands so it doesn’t stick to them when pressing down.
- Bake the crust for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges and on top.
- While the crust bakes, pour the shredded coconut on a baking sheet and add it to the oven as well. Bake for about 7-8 minutes, stirring the coconut halfway through, until it is lightly browned all over. Watch it closely because it can burn quickly!
- In a medium sized microwavable bowl, combine ghee, honey, coconut sugar and coconut sweetened condensed milk and mix to combine. Microwave for 4 minutes on high. Remove and stir in vanilla extract then add in toasted coconut and stir to combine. Feel free here to add another pinch of salt if you like salty caramel!
- Once the crust is done, let it cool for a few minutes, then pour the caramel on top and spread it evenly.
- In a small bowl melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second increments until smooth.
- Drizzle ½ of the chocolate on top of the bars and let them cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once cool, slice into squares and dip the bottoms into the remaining chocolate (you may have to re-melt if it has hardened).