- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup chopped pickles (or compliant relish)
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz. frozen hash browns
- ½ head of thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and once it is warm, add in oil.
- Place diced onion and bell pepper into the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in ground beef and cook, breaking it down and mixing it with the veggies until it has browned, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, mayo & chopped pickles. Remove from heat.
- In a blender combine cashews, water and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish, pour frozen hash browns on the bottom in an even layer and toss with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Top the hash browns with ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Then drizzle on the cashew cheese in an even layer. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with thinly sliced iceberg lettuce before serving.