Whole30 Cheeseburger Casserole
I am feeling so pumped for 2020! I love even numbers so that is one reason I am pumped. But i’m mostly just excited to watch Ruthie keep growing, grow this blog even more and see my first cookbook come into the world!! So to start off this year the right way, let’s get some delicious and healthy recipes in our system. This one is pretty epic because it’s a simple casserole and all of the layers come together in cheeseburger deliciousness. The best part is that Ruthie loved this dish so much and with her getting pickier by the day, that’s a huge win! I would LOVE for you to try out this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments. Enjoy!!
Served with a Topo Chico of course.
Casseroles are hard to photograph but trust me, its amazing!
Pin the image below to save this recipe for later!Print
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup chopped pickles (or compliant relish)
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz. frozen hash browns
- ½ head of thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and once it is warm, add in oil.
- Place diced onion and bell pepper into the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in ground beef and cook, breaking it down and mixing it with the veggies until it has browned, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, mayo & chopped pickles. Remove from heat.
- In a blender combine cashews, water and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish, pour frozen hash browns on the bottom in an even layer and toss with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Top the hash browns with ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Then drizzle on the cashew cheese in an even layer. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with thinly sliced iceberg lettuce before serving.