This Whole30 Cheeseburger Casserole is an easy and comforting weeknight meal the whole family will love!

I am feeling so pumped for 2020! I love even numbers so that is one reason I am pumped. But i’m mostly just excited to watch Ruthie keep growing, grow this blog even more and see my first cookbook come into the world!!  So to start off this year the right way, let’s get some delicious and healthy recipes in our system.  This one is pretty epic because it’s a simple casserole and all of the layers come together in cheeseburger deliciousness.  The best part is that Ruthie loved this dish so much and with her getting pickier by the day, that’s a huge win!  I would LOVE for you to try out this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments.  Enjoy!!

Served with a Topo Chico of course.

Casseroles are hard to photograph but trust me, its amazing!

Pin the image below to save this recipe for later!

Whole30 Cheeseburger Casserole

• Author: Kelsey
Scale

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 cup diced bell pepper
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
  • ¼ cup mayo
  • ⅓ cup chopped pickles (or compliant relish)
  • 1 cup cashews
  • ¾ cup water
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 16 oz. frozen hash browns
  • ½  head of thinly sliced iceberg lettuce

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Place a large skillet over medium heat and once it is warm, add in oil.
  • Place diced onion and bell pepper into the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add in ground beef and cook, breaking it down and mixing it with the veggies until it has browned, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, mayo & chopped pickles.  Remove from heat.
  • In a blender combine cashews, water and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth and creamy.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • In a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish, pour frozen hash browns on the bottom in an even layer and toss with 1 teaspoon salt.
  • Top the hash browns with ground beef mixture and spread evenly.  Then drizzle on the cashew cheese in an even layer. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and top with thinly sliced iceberg lettuce before serving.

41 replies
  1. Dee says:

Nutritional yeast gives it the cheesy flavor and keeps it Whole30 so unless you don’t mind the dairy then it’s probably nessesary!

2. Meg says:

Hands down one of the best casseroles I’ve ever had. My husband couldn’t get enough. I felt so good after eating this. I also added some mustard to the tomato sauce and mayo mix because I like that combo. So easy to make. So worth it! Just make this yourself and see!!

3. Suzy Stensgaard says:

My husband and I loved this! I might try baking the hash browns first to crisp them a bit, otherwise it was absolutely delicious!

4. Kristin says:

So good! As I was making it, I wasn’t sure my husband and boys were going to like it. They loved it! One said it tasted like a healthy Big Mac.

5. Sara S. says:

Made this for my family for the first time last night. We enjoyed it! The crunchy shredded lettuce on the top was great for texture.

6. Juanita says:

I love this casserole! I’ve made it twice already! I subbed compliant fries for hashbrowns since I haven’t been able to find compliant ones. Turned out great!

7. Jaymey says:

Totally delish!!! I added a drizzle of mustard on top of my serving and it adds extra burger tang! I also might try adding more pickle and finely chopped raw onion, I think it would just be bonus flavor! Great recipe!

8. Mary says:

We made it last week and are making a bbq bacon version this week! It’s definitely going to be part of our rotation from now on!!!

9. Liz says:

This was super yummy! And bonus my 6 and 9 yr old ate it up! Always a win if everyone loves my whole 30 meal! Thanks for keeping it easy to feed the fam ❤

10. Laynie says:

Loved this! I’m not doing a whole and am not dairy free so I sprinkled a little cheese on top and it was delish!!

11. Jenn G says:

This was so good! Both my husband and toddler approved too! We aren’t whole 30 so we used some not approved ingredients and it still turned out great. We doubled the hashbrowns and browned them first before putting the beef mixture on top. I also decreased the amount of pickles since I used sweet relish instead. So so good!

12. Petra says:

Another rave review! I was missing a can of tomatoes so I chopped up fresh cherry tomatoes. The husband is not a fan of cheese, so he was excited that this didnt have any. I heard at least 5 “wow!” comments while hea ate the first helping. Thanks for a great recipe!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!