- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 ¼ cups bbq sauce*
- ¼ cup chopped pickles
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb frozen hash browns (shredded)
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add in the bacon and cook until slightly crispy, then set aside and chop.
- Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat out of the pan and return it to the stove.
- Add onion to the 1 tablespoon of remaining bacon fat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ground beef and cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking it apart until it is browned.
- Then add in the drained chopped tomatoes, bbq sauce and pickles. Stir and bring to a simmer, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped bacon.
- In a blender combine cashews, water and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish, pour frozen hash browns on the bottom in an even layer and toss with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Top the hash browns with ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Then drizzle on the cashew cheese in an even layer. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with thinly sliced lettuce before serving.