Crispy Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings
I’ll be honest, I rarely watch football. But I LOVE the super bowl. Not only for commercials but for the food!! I love testing out new appetizers and finger foods for this day and these chicken wings got me so excited. We just made this recipe last week but I knew I had to get it up ASAP because it’s not only football food, it’s just good food. When these came out of the oven, I shot them, then Catherine and I hovered over them and ate almost ALL OF THEM. Matt was working at the time so when he got home I made them again and he freaked a little too. They are so simple and not overwhelming with lemon garlic flavor, just a hint that makes your mouth water for more. I feel like every time I made chicken wings I think, why on earth don’t we eat these on a regular basis?? Especially when you can make them this crispy in the oven.
To bring the ultimate crisp factor, I used baking powder to coat them. I couldn’t call these paleo because most conventional baking powders have corn starch but they are easily gluten free as long as you find gluten free baking powder (like from Thrive Market!). I have also added in the instructions a way to make paleo baking powder if you need to stay grain free too, so no excuse to not make these! So try these bad boys out and enjoy your big game snacking – or weeknight dinner – like a champ.
Carrots, celery and bell peppers are the perfect side to these!
Pin the image below to save this Crispy Baked Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings recipe for later!Print
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 tsp baking powder**
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- Serve with: Celery, carrots, bell peppers & ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire cooling rack on top.
- Pat your chicken wings dry (the dryer they are, the crispy they will get!). Then place them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine baking powder, ½ tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder and 1 Tbsp lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Pour the spice mixture over the wings and toss to coat evenly.
- Place the wings, spread out evenly, on the cooling rack and bake for 30 minutes, flip them all, then bake for another 20-30 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine 1 tsp garlic powder, lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ cup melted ghee and stir to combine.
- Place cooked wings in a large bowl and add ghee mixture on top. Toss to coat the wings.
- Serve with veggies!
- **To make these paleo, make your own baking powder by combining 2 tablespoons cream of tartar, 1 tablespoon baking soda, and 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- You can use butter instead of ghee.