Cauliflower steaks are a thing people! And I was wary of them at first because I really like actual beef steak. But we decided to make a version that gave you a meaty flavor thanks to liquid smoke and then drizzled on some Primal Kitchen steak sauce! When you google cauliflower steak recipes all of them are just roasted cauliflower steaks with some seasoning. We wanted this to be super flavorful and kind of crispy on the outside like a nice steak. So we mixed our seasoning with some arrowroot powder and coated the cauliflower steaks! It gave them the perfect flavor and might actually remind you of steak.
This recipe also happens to be Whole30 and Vegan which is pretty awesome. As you know a lot of my recipes are Whole30 but Whole30 stuff is easily vegan if it doesn’t have meat or eggs – aka – all those veggie dishes! Although I don’t label the way I eat day to day, I am all for choosing a way of eating that you love and makes you feel good. So let’s hear from Catherine, what the benefits of this wonderful dish are!
Cauliflower Steaks Nutrition:
Wow this vegetable is so versatile. Included in this RD’s weekly meal menu, cauliflower is a Super Food. The CDC actually listed Cauliflower #24 on the list of “powerhouse fruits & vegetables”. “Eat the rainbow” is a common guideline, but unfortunately rainbows don’t have the color white in them! White vegetables are some of the most nutritious options out there. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable (makes you a bit gassy)which tends to be high in fiber. You can count on cauliflower & broccoli to cause the same affect in your digestion, full of fiber this group of veggies help you manage your appetite but actually come in pretty low in calories: 1 cup = 27! High in B vitamins, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), phytonutrients and choline which together all help with energy, metabolism, memory and preventing cancer. Disclaimer, if you take blood thinning medications such as Warfarin(Coumadin), Heparin(Lovenox) or even Rivaroxiban(Xarelto), you should not suddenly start increasing your intake of cauliflower because the high levels of vitamin K interact with your medication. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be occasional!
Pin the image below to save this Cauliflower Steaks recipe for later!
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice each head of cauliflower at the base into 4 large slices. Each head will only get 2 steaks out of it that stay together and the end slices you can set aside for roasting separately!
- Take your 4 cauliflower steaks and place them on a foil lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil and liquid smoke and whisk to combine. Pour over the steaks and spread it around with your hands to coat them.
- Then in another small bowl combine arrowroot, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Use a sieve to lightly disperse that mixture over the cauliflower steaks, turn them and repeat.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, flipping them halfway, or until fork tender.