I asked and you answered – QUINOA! Quinoa is sooo easy to work with, is versatile and is a super high protein grain. I wanted to make a recipe with it that was a one pot wonder, and you know I love myself some tomato basil goodness! I haven’t shared a quinoa recipe on here since 2016 so I figured it was about time right? Funny story about this dish, I thought it would be fun to try to give some to Ruth. She had never tried to pick up anything so small but I put still put a pile of it in front of her and proceeded to watch her pick up handfuls and throw them around the room. Sadie was underneath her and was covered! It was so hilarious. What was I thinking? Oh well, at least she had fun and it was nothing a vacuum couldn’t fix. I think i’ll try loose quinoa again soon but for now I will serve it in eggs and patties!
Speaking of Ruthie eating, I have started a new series on Fridays on instagram where I share what my meal looks like vs. Ruthie’s – you can check that out here! I never thought I would like sharing stuff like this about being a mom but I have learned SO much since she was born and really love to share what I learn and figure out with you guys. And in case you were thinking hmm how old is Ruth now? Well thanks for asking! She’s 8 months old today!!! Crazy crazy crazy.
A one pot plan for the whole family!
Pin the image below to save this Tomato Basil Chicken & Quinoa Skillet recipe for later!
Tomato Basil Chicken & Quinoa Skillet
- Yield: 4
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large saute pan (with higher sides) over medium high heat and add oil once heated.
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you create 4 thin chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with some salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side (or until chicken is cooked throughout).
- Then to that pan add chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring it to a boil, then add in quinoa, cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve 1/4 of the quinoa with 1 piece of chicken breast.