Cranberry Stuffed Turkey Burger
My favorite meal of the year is fast approaching and I just can’t keep the fabulous combo of cranberries and turkey stuck to just one day. So I did what I always do and stuffed a turkey burger! I have made Greek Stuffed Turkey Burgers and Italian Stuffed Chicken – so Cranberry Stuffed Turkey Burgers seemed like an absolute no brainer!! These are also beyond easy to make so I recommend whipping up a batch this week to really get you in the season (if you haven’t been lighting pumpkin candles and decorating your house with leaves like I have). This talk of seasons brings up a question about what kind of decorator you are! Do you go all out for Halloween then switch to Thanksgiving decor for less than a month then to Christmas ASAP after that? For us, we don’t have a ton of decor space anyways so I had some pumpkins around since October that will last through November, a couple skulls for halloween time that now have autumn leave garlands and soon Christmas will take over! I am not one to get Christmas crazy before black friday but definitely can’t wait until the day after Thanksgiving to get completely Holiday Spirit crazy. The music will be blasting, the holiday cheer essential oils diffusing, and everything I eat will have chocolate and peppermint in it.
But for now we MUST celebrate the poor little cranberry! The funny thing is that I really don’t like cranberry juice – at all. BUT I happen to love cranberry sauce! It has to be homemade though, the jelly kind freaks me out – mostly because I also despise jello. But once I learned how to make the real deal, there was no going back! I think just a little sugar and a little orange juice make such a simple and tasty cranberry sauce, so I stuck with those 3 ingredients for the filling. Roast up some sweet potato buns and voila! Thanksgiving on a weeknight.
The secret surprise bite is the BEST!
These go quick – you have been warned!
Pin this Cranberry Stuffed Turkey Burger to save the recipe for later!
- 1 pound turkey
- ½ teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cranberries
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl combine turkey, sage, thyme, salt and pepper until evenly combined and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine cranberries, orange juice and coconut sugar, cover and let boil, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst and sauce thickens (about 8-10 minutes). Season with a pinch of salt. Let the sauce cool a bit then form burgers.
- Separate turkey into 8 even balls. Flatten each ball of turkey, scoop 1 heaped tablespoon of the stuffing onto 4 of the patties. Top each one with another patty and pinch the outside to create a larger patty.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat and add a little oil to the pan. Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes per side until they are cooked through.
- Serve on sweet potato buns or by themselves.
- To make sweet potato buns slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds, spray them with some cooking spray and a little salt and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast them at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip them and cook for another 10 minutes.