It’s time for donuts and more importantly time for apple spice!! Pumpkin gets all the dang glory during fall and my favorite little apple gets hardly enough love. So I threw together some tasty Paleo Apple Spice Donuts so we could all enjoy! First things first – do have a donut pan? If you don’t, I highly recommend getting one so you can make all the healthy donuts! My lemon blueberry donuts are also killer so you already have some options. I think I need to make a chocolate peppermint one for December… thoughts?! As far as donuts are concerned, maple has always been my number one. And sadly, I have tried to make them taste like they do in the donut shop with real maple syrup and it just doesn’t happen. BUT – if you get the “maple extract” from the store – that totally works and tastes just like it. But ya know chemicals and such… I would rather just go have the real maple one than try to figure it out myself!
Okay I feel like second paragraphs are for life updates -right? Not too much to report here other than I am getting started on my second ebook!! I have just gotten such a great response from my Love Your Veggies eBook that I knew I had to get started on another. One hint – it’s not just veggies this time! Hoping I can get that out in January but we will see! I also feel like I should mention that it is Sadie’s 4th birthday today!! If you don’t know Sadie she is our dog and she is the cutest nugget (besides when she is barking at everyone and thing that passes our house). So Happy 4th Birthday Sadie, we love you!! Yes, she reads my blog. Okay let’s dive into these donuts shall we?
The frosting will for sure make you weak int the knees – trust.
Pin these Paleo Apple Spice Donuts to save them for later!
Paleo Apple Spice Donuts
- 1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 2 tablespoons ghee, melted (coconut oil works too)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 apples (i used honeycrisp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a donut pan with oil spray.
- Shred the apples with a cheese grater then place them on a paper towel and squeeze them to take most of the moisture out. Then measure out 1 cup of shredded apple and set aside.
- Mix together the blanched almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice and salt.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, ghee, egg, and vanilla to the bowl and mix to combine. Then fold in the shredded apple into the batter.
- Scoop batter into a large ziplock bag and cut the tip of the bag with scissors. Squeeze batter into the donut pan then shake it a little to evenly disperse the batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Set pan over a wire rack to cool. Wait until donuts are cooled a bit then remove from the pan.
- Frosting: Combine cashew butter, maple syrup and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread the frosting on top of the cooled donuts.