Harvest Turkey Meatloaf Stuffed Delicata Squash
It’s officially fall!! I feel like I have googled “when does fall start” more times than I would like to admit in the last month and a half because I have been dying to really dig into some fall recipes! I was just in Colorado for 4 days and when I left it was in the 50s and rainy and felt so much like fall. Now I am back home in Southern California and it’s 91 degrees…. insert sad face emoji. I swear every year around this time I think it should be colder and it never is! And every year it finally gets “cold” in February and after a month I am begging for summer again – it’s a vicious cycle! But being from a warm place does not keep me from wanting warm comfort foods as soon as fall hits. Food definitely defines seasons for me, not the weather, so get ready for tons of squash comin at ya!! Between the spaghetti squash, delicata squash and butternut squash recipes on my site I will keep you well stocked when you are looking for how to use them.
Today I am sharing a stuffed delicata squash – because they make the perfect little vessels for all the fillings. And what better to fill them with then meatloaf?! I made this harvest style by adding some pumpkin, sage and rosemary – all of my fall favorites! I also love how delicata squash is only 40 calories a cup, which makes it one of the lower calorie squash while still being freaking TASTY. Another thing to note about this recipe is that you can totally make the meatloaf like you would regular meatloaf and leave them out of the squash. We even had the meatloaf separate and still chopped and cooked delicata on the side last night for dinner!
The perfect meal to serve with a simple salad on the side!
Pin this Harvest Turkey Meatloaf Stuffed Delicata Squash to save for later!
- 3 delicata squash
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- ½ cup pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 3 tablespoons water
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the delicata squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place them cut side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray with a little avocado or coconut oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine turkey, onion, garlic powder, almond flour, 1/4 cup pumpkin, egg, sage, rosemary salt and pepper. Use clean hands to mix the meatloaf until everything is combined. Try not to over mix as it will make it tough and dry.
- Scoop meat mixture into the 6 delicata squash halves and spread in evenly in the little boats. Place in the oven and cook for 35 minutes. While it is in the oven mix together ½ cup pumpkin, ½ teaspoon sage, ½ teaspoon rosemary, water and salt to taste.
- Once the 35 minutes is up, remove from the oven and spread the pumpkin mixture evenly on the 6 meatloafs. Place them back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until delicata is fork tender.