Grain Free Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate and mint is one of my FAVorite flavor combos. It mostly gets all the glory during Christmas time but it is just too good to limit it to one month out of the year! I went to the Irvine Farmers Market a week and a half ago and got a Chocolate Mint energy ball from Meet The Source and it was SO tasty I just had to create something with the flavors. I was going to do a frozen treat until I played around with a chocolate cookie recipe and knew I had to stuff something tasty in between them and make a sandwich. This might also have to do with the fact that when Matt and I were at Sprouts last week he got these redonkulously indulgent chocolate chip sandwich cookies with super sweet frosting on the inside. But they were vegan sooo healthy right? Either way, we both were talking about how great sandwich cookies are and that got my brain moving.
Now the big issue with most sandwich cookies is that they have some kind of powdered sugar buttercream mixture inside. I wanted a minty creamy inside but wanted to use unrefined sweetener and keep it dairy free – so I turned to the trusty ol’ cashew! Soaking the cashews helps them to break down easily and turn into a creamy filling. So then I added maple syrup to sweeten it up and knew I wanted it green for the mint color – so I added a little bit of spinach! You can’t taste it at all and it is just there for color but yay for an added green too right?! As for the mint flavor I used some peppermint essential oil. You can totally use peppermint extract too if you like. After awhile in a food processor you will have a creamy minty and slightly sweet filling. The cookies provide some good sweetness so the filling didn’t need to be over the top. And let me tell you – put these cookies in the fridge. They were great just as is but I put some in the refrigerator and the filling got almost ice cream like. SO GOOD! Okay now that I have thoroughly explained these babies – let’s make them!
Dip them in almond milk – OBVI.
We have lots of Grain Free goodness on the site:
Pin the image below to save these Grain Free Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies!
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups soaked cashews (soaked in water for at least 3 hours and no more than 12 hours)
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 6 drops Peppermint essential oil (or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine coconut sugar, coconut oil, almond butter, egg and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add in almond flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop 1 teaspoon scoops of dough onto the pan. I rolled the dough balls in my hands then placed them on the sheet so they were symmetrical. They are smaller cookies so you can fit about 25 -30 on each sheet. Leave a little room for them to expand.
- Bake for 6 minutes then remove and let cool.
- Drain your soaked cashews and place them in a food processor or high powered blender. Add in spinach, maple syrup and peppermint and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop some filling (about 1 teaspoon) between 2 chocolate cookies and press them together.
- I think these taste extra delicious when refrigerated!