This post is sponsored by Mizkan’s Nakano Rice Vinegar. I was compensated and all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you so much for supporting Little Bits Of!
I feel like this Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai recipe has been sitting in the back of my head ever since I made Zucchini Pad Thai last year! But let’s be real, sweet potatoes have my heart and it was only a matter of time before they made their way into one of my favorite meals. I have fond memories of Pad Thai in my college days. I had never had it before and there was a place near our campus we would go and get huge take out containers of it after water polo practice. The chunks of chicken and scrambled egg, the bright sweet flavor of the sauce and a few slices of lime to squeeze all over the top. These are things I wanted to remember when I took a bite, but minus the noodles, sugar in the sauce, soy and msg that I am sure was packed into the old version.
So I stuck with the basics of clean Thai cooking – fish sauce, coconut aminos, and of course rice vinegar!!
I am so excited to be working with Nakano again to showcase their amazing Natural Rice Vinegar in all of its glory!! I use rice vinegar in all type of dishes from salads to sauces but it’s sweet spot is really in Asian cuisine. It helps give dishes that “ooo why does that taste so good?” reaction! Matt is the king of adding vinegar to things and I feel like every week we will be making something and he tries it and says hmm i think it needs a splash of vinegar! And we add the splash and it seriously makes all the difference. I love that about vinegar and adding a mellow rice vinegar like Nakano to pretty much anything is a go to move in our kitchen. If you want to try out Nakano’s new Organic line get a coupon here!!
Okay let’s get into this Sweet Potato goodness shall we?!
Limes limes limes – squeezing these all over the top is everything!!
Pin this Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai recipe to save for later!
Sweet Potato Chicken Pad Thai
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into smaller pieces
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Pad Thai Sauce
- ⅛ cup fish sauce
- ⅛ cup rice vinegar
- ⅛ cup coconut aminos
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add ½ tablespoon of sesame oil. Peel and chop off the ends of the sweet potatoes and run them through a spiralizer to make noodles. If you don’t have a spiralizer you can also use a julienne peeler and peel them to their core.
- Toss them in the pan and cook, stirring a few times, for about 5 minutes or until tender but not too soft.
- Remove from heat, toss with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and set aside.
- Pour 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil into your pan and add two lightly beaten eggs. Scramble the eggs and once they are cooked through, set aside.
- Add shallots to the pot and cook until they soften a bit and add chicken. Cook chicken for about 6 minutes, flipping the pieces after 3 minutes.
- Then, add your sweet potato noodles and eggs back into the pot. Pour in pad thai sauce*. Top with crushed almonds, green onions, and cilantro, and stir until well blended. Dish up and garnish with extra almonds, green onions, and cilantro.
Pad Thai Sauce:
- Combine fish sauce, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, lime juice and pitted dates in a blender. Blend on high for about one minute. Slowly pour in sesame oil while blending to emulsify the mixture and blend for another 30 seconds.