Sweet Potato Toast French Toast
DAY 2! I feel like Sweet Potato Toast FRENCH TOAST really makes me want to use caps lock on this entire post. To be honest with you have have always wanted to love french toast because I love cinnamon vanilla crispy bread, but I never liked when it was soaked too long and made the inside of the bread soft and squishy. Ya know what I mean? It’s a texture thing! This is why I am SO EXCITED about this sweet potato toast version. It gives me all those flavors I love with that perfect sweet tater texture. I topped it with some coconut cream, maple syrup and all the berries! This recipe starts like all the others, toasting those sweet potatoes until perfectly cooked through. Then you dip it in the egg/coconut milk/cinnamon/vanilla mixture and cook them again just until that mixture is browned. That’s it!! So easy and such a nice treat if you like to live grain free.
The thing I like about sweet potato toast is that it isn’t just for people who are avoiding bread. I myself eat mostly grain free, only because we rarely buy bread and stick to as many veggies an meat as possible, but when I want bread you better believe I buy it! I’ve found that being super restrictive in anyway is no fun for me (unless its for 30 days – hello Whole30). But now I have done 2 Whole30s I have realized if I eat pretty paleo but then add in extra things I like on occasion (wine, chocolate, bagels), in order to keep me SANE! So however you eat, this recipe is a winner. Today I challenge you to make some sweet potato toast however you like it, tag me on instagram (@littlebitsof_realfood) and use #sptweek!! 🙂 Oh and side note: I use this ZHEN knife and it is AMAZING at cutting through a tough sweet tater!
STEP 1: TOAST THAT TATER!
STEP 2: Dip and flip!
Step 3: Top with all the fixings! And then go to town and be the happiest version of yourself!
We have some links for other sweet morning breakfast treats to have with your coffee.
Pin this Sweet Potato Toast French Toast recipe for later!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Top with coconut cream, strawberries & blueberries, maple syrup
Sweet Potato Toast:
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Add to the toaster like you would bread and toast on high. Toast them 2-3 times through until there is a little bit a browning on both sides.
- In a small bowl combine eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla and whisk until fully combined.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat and spray with oil spray.
- Take a slice of sweet potato toast and dip it in the egg mixture to coat then place on the skillet to cook.
- Cook for about 45 seconds – 1 minute on each side just to brown.
- Serve with coconut cream, strawberries, blueberries and maple syrup!