Shaved Brussels Sprout & Kale Salad with Sweet Basil Dressing
All hail the kale salad! When I discovered the art of massaging dressing into kale to soften it, my whole kale world was rocked! Kale can be such a harsh veg not only on your mouth with it’s sharp and curly edges, but also on your stomach! Sometimes cruciferous veggies like kale, while packed with tons of fiber and vitamin C, can also rumble up your stomach a bit as they break down. These are all reasons why massaging kale is the JAM! you still get all those great benefits but you also have a much easier time eating it. I have also been obsessing over my Sweet Basil Dressing recipe and think it is the perfect topping for this salad. Then as though we weren’t getting enough goodness from the kale, I shaved some brussels sprouts to add more texture and nutrients! You can buy shaved brussels sprouts a lot of places now but I shave them myself too with the shaving attachment on my food processor!! But don’t worry, because we are killing it in the nutrition department, I loaded it up with dates and hazelnuts too which add the best flavor and sweetness!
Oh and I have to mention to you too that I am taking over the @whole30recipes instagram this week!! I got to do this last year too and it was a total blast!! I will be posting at least 3 of my recipes each day on their feed and making recipes on instagram stories all week so be sure to follow along!!
Kale never looked so good! 🙂
Pin this Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad to save for later!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 pitted dates, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 4–6 tablespoons Sweet Basil Dressing
- Slice the bottoms of the brussels sprouts off then place the top of a food processor fitted with the slicing attachment. Push them down to slice!
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can slice then thinly with a knife or buy pre packaged shaved brussels sprouts.
- Remove stems from kale then slice the kale into thin strips.
- Add kale into a large bowl and pour 2 tablespoons of the Sweet Basil Dressing on top and massage it into the kale with your hands.
- Then add in the shaved brussels sprouts and add in 3-4 more tablespoons of dressing and stir to coat.
- Top with chopped dates and hazelnuts!