, ,

Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf

This Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf recipe is a perfect whole30 & paleo option that is super easy to throw together for a weeknight dinner!

Let’s talk about this Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf people.  The other night Matt and I were making a meatloaf, which we do all the time, when I realized I have never put a recipe on my site for one!!  I seriously didn’t believe it and searched my blog for one and NOTHING! I apologize! I think my hesitation has been that they aren’t the prettiest things to photograph and are SO easy to make – but that is the best right?  Who wants pretty meatloaf anyways.  When we make meatloaf it always turns into an Italian meatloaf because we just gravitate towards the oregano and basil once the tomato paste goes in! So I thought I would actually measure things this time and put together a solid recipe – which this definitely is! I love meatloaf for many reasons but the main one is that it could not be easier to make.  We make meatballs a lot too and this is basically the same thing without all of that effort to form them into balls.  Just plop the whole thing on a baking sheet and free form it into a loaf like shape – pour some stuff on top and bake!

The key to this Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf:

Fresh basil!!! I am a huge fan of dried herbs don’t get me wrong, but there is something about basil in particular that is SO much better than dried.  I can’t explain it, just trust me!  I want to work on getting an herb garden when I have some time to start working on our backyard and I will, at that point, need SO much help.  I have a black thumb and I really want to figure out how to just keep a few herbs alive!  My from Lindsay who runs the blog The Toasted Pinenut, and I were talking about this the other day and agreed Rosemary and Mint would be good ones for me to start with! I’ll report back on that later!

So delish and easy to wolf down – you have been warned!

Pin this Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf recipe to save it for later!

Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf

5 from 8 reviews

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl combine turkey, almond flour, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 3 tablespoons chopped basil, egg, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix until evenly combined. Ball up all of the meat mixture and place on a foil lined baking sheet, then form it into a loaf shape, about 8 inches x 4 inches in shape.
  2. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon chopped basil and pinch of salt. Spoon this mixture over the meatloaf and spread evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.

63 replies
  1. Megan A. says:

This was delicious and super easy to make. Even if not doing a Whole 30/Paleo/hippie-dippie diet, I’d still recommend this! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

2. Carrie says:

So my 32 year old husband has the taste buds of a 12 year old boy. I made this recipe because we’re doing the Whole30 and I bought a 3 lb tray of ground turkey. I fully expected groans when I declared we’re having meatloaf. To my surprise, both the husband and the 8 year old asked for seconds! Hubs even asked to put this into the rotation! So it’s terrific! I will have to say after 23 days on W30, it’s a tad salty for my taste buds, but an easy correction for the future. It also made a great W30 breakfast today!

• Kelsey says:

Aw Carrie that is AWESOME!!! So glad they all liked it! And yes salting is definitely based on preference! Thanks so much!!

3. Angie says:

Love this recipe! Not only is this healthy and clean, but it is super yummy. I made it for my family (myself, hubby, son (13) and daughters (9) and they all loved it and wanted seconds. I am making it again tonight and will be making two loaves!! Thanks Kelsey!

4. Nicole R says:

This is amazing! I do love finding new recipes for my fresh basil plant. Do you think you could put mozzerela in the middle to make caprese like?

5. Hillary says:

I made this recipe and loved it! The only change I made was to use almost a whole cup of chopped tomatoes in the topping. It came out amazing. It has a cheesy flavor and texture, which was a real treat since I’m not eating dairy. Thanks for the great recipe! I will definitely make it again soon.

6. Olivia says:

My son is allergic to tree nuts. If I use WW flour or AP do I need to change the amount at all? Thanks 🙂

7. Marisa says:

This was SO good! Turkey can be so boring and dry- but not in this meatloaf. I used almond meal because that’s all I had, and it still turned out great. This was the first recipe I’ve made from your blog and definitely won’t be the last!

8. Sarah says:

So if you make this recipe how many does it feed? If we choose to double the ground turkey do we need to double everything else too?

9. jane says:

This sounds almost like my recipe, except I use 1 min oats instead of the almond flour, never thought of putting flour in meatloaf! I also add a dash of garlic powder. Love the basil flavor! It is an easy herb to grow, mine even came back this spring since we had a milder winter in Oklahoma than usual!

10. Yvonne says:

Absolutely amazing recipe! I substituted the ALmond Flour with blended rolled oats (cheaper version) and it was absolutely tasty! My boyfriend loved it as well as my coworkers. Must truly!

11. McKenna says:

This was a great recipe – will definitely make again! I added half of a large green bell pepper as well as an herb mix I bought once while traveling that includes sun dried tomato, red pepper flakes and oregano. I also subbed garlic powder for fresh minced garlic.

Thanks!

12. Bertha says:

Omg! I was known to make the best meatloaf around mybkids and their friends…. but this jut made It become so much better!!!
    Thank you!!’

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] How do you make a home-cooked meatloaf even better? This Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf should do the […]

2. […] full details on: Little Bits Of and image courtesy of Little Bits […]

3. […] Super simple Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf […]

4. […] I got attacked by bugs eating curry on the top of Hollyburn Mountain. I recently made this simple Tomato Basil Turkey Meatloaf and it would make a great portable […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!