I love when recipes like this happen. They start with me thinking i’ll make a regular old chicken salad and while staring in my spice cabinet I see the Five Spice powder – hello Five Spice Chicken Salad!! So my brain immediately combines five spice with some ginger & garlic, then the usual mayo with a zip of apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos, all combining into a beautiful mix of DELISH. Then I added in this kale slaw mix from Trader Joe’s because I feel a need to add greens to everything or I would just eat sweet potatoes for every meal. (which i still do but that’s besides the point.) So of course I also served these on sweet potato rounds which are super simple and provide a perfect base for this chicken salad. You can also throw this on a salad, scoop it up with plantain chips or eat it straight out of the bowl! Orrr if you aren’t on a Whole30 you can eat it between bread on a sandwich!! GASP! haha 🙂 Speaking of food after whole30… I honestly can’t wait.
It is day 17 already and I am feeling phenomenal, BUT this stuff is hard. As much as the Whole30 peeps preach that it is easy (which at times it is), there are times when you are at a family dinner and the bread is starring at you and laughing. The funny thing is, when I am not on Whole30 I rarely even eat the bread. But when you really really can’t have it it’s so much harder!! I just like options people. I also am excited that sometime next week Matt and I will be getting out results back from our Pinnertest we took last week! It is a food intolerance test which I think will be great to get back before I start reintroducing foods back into my diet. If you are on whole30 I would love to know how you are feeling now in the comments below!
Sweet potato rounds for the win every time!
Pin it pulease!
Five Spice Chicken Salad
- 4 cooked chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup packed shredded kale*
- 1 cup shredded & chopped brussels sprouts*
- 1 cup red & green cabbage*
Sweet Potato Rounds:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Chop chicken breasts into cubes or shred it with a fork and place into a large bowl. In a separate small bowl combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, five spice powder, ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Pour sauce over chicken and toss to coat. Add in kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage and stir again to coat everything in sauce. Season with salt to taste.
Sweet Potato Rounds:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice sweet potatoes width wise into rounds about 1/4″ inch. Lay them flat on a foil lined baking sheet (or 2 if they don’t all fit on one). Drizzle the oil over them and toss to coat. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over them to desired preference. Roast for 15 minutes then flip and cook for an additonal 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serving Size: 4