- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon grass fed butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can coconut cream, all liquid removed
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 8 inch cake pans, three 6 inch pans or a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with paddle attachment, cream butter for 2 minutes. Add coconut sugar and beat for 1 more minute. Then add eggs and extracts and mix to combine. In a small bowl combine almond milk and lemon juice.
- In another bowl combine the flour, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add ⅓ of the flour mix to the butter mix, then half the almond milk and repeat until everything is mixed in.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-35 minutes (depending on the pan you use) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Place the can of coconut cream in the refrigerator for about an hour so it will firm up. Open the can and pour off any excess liquid. Combine cream and coconut sugar in a mixer with a whisk attachment and whip together until combined. Spread Coconut Frosting on top on cake or between layers. Top with sprinkles if desired!