Are you ready for the world as you know it to get ROCKED? Sweet Potato Oatmeal. That’s what is UP!
I promise it’s for the good! But first I have a confession to make. I kind of miss oats & oatmeal. I don’t miss getting hungry again 2 hours later… but I miss eating something warm and cinnamony in the morning! Don’t get me wrong… I still love my eggs and chicken sausage most days. BUT after making these babies I am so excited to mix it up!! I was walking with Matt last weekend and telling him about my idea and about what to call them and he said “SWEET POTAT-OATS!” It was brilliant. And again – this is why I married the guy. Let’s break the internet shall we?
I love sweet potatoes in every form but sweet is one of the best! Adding cinnamon was a must as it reminds me of my oat days, and adding banana was a no brainer as I also used to add it to my oats as a natural sweetener! I mean what would Sweet Potato Oatmeal be without cinnamon!? Make sure those bananas are nice and brown for this so they can bring the dish lots of sweetness. The best part about this recipe is the TOPPINGS! I loved adding sliced banana, walnuts and a drizzle of almond butter… partially because it made the photos super drool worthy, and partially because I put AB on just about everything to make it better. If you are staying away from grains or just want to mix up your regular breakfast routine… try this recipe out STAT! OH- and I also made a fun video of recipe for you to gander at below!
Crush those walnuts people. Sweet Potato Oatmeal is on the way!
Nutrition for Sweet Potat-Oats (Oatmeal)
What a perfect substitute for oats when you are following a paleo or grain free diet. As we all know, sweet potatoes are very nutritious and are jam packed with Vitamin A and Vitamin C as well as fiber. A lot of people are concerned when going grain free about not getting enough fiber. This recipe for Sweet Potato Oatmeal (Oats) is packed with fiber from both the sweet potatoes and the nuts! You just have to try this out, especially if you are craving something warm and cinnamony in the morning!Print
Breakfast Sweet Potat-“Oats”
- 1 cup sweet potat-“oats” (directions below)
- 1/3 cup crushed ripe banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Top with: banana, walnuts and/or almond butter
- In a small bowl combine sweet potat-“oats”, banana, almond milk, cinnamon and salt. Microwave for about 3 minutes or until cooked. I topped mine with sliced banana, walnuts and a drizzle of almond butter!
- *To make Sweet Potat-“Oats”:
- Peel 1 sweet potato and run it through the shredder attachment on a food processor. Then add the blade attachment and pulse for a few seconds just until sweet potato resembles the size of oats! Use 1 cup of these “oats” for the recipe.