Caramelized Onion & Kale Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Hello friends! Today I have one thing and one thing only on my mind. And it’s not the Mike Posner song from the other day. It’s SWEET POTATOES!!! This gem of a root veggie is by far one of my favorite foods. I love them roasted, steamed, microwaved, mashed, in fry form and just about everything in between. When there isn’t much around for dinner but there are sweet potatoes, the options become endless! A couple of weeks ago I posted this photo on instagram of one of my stuffed sweet potato concoctions. We had dill, sun-dried tomatoes and tahini on hand so we roasted the taters then mixed all of those inside. I do this with all kinds of flavors. You can mix in some salsa and taco seasoning and top with guac…
orrrr you can make these!!
In my humble opinion, caramelized onions make everything better. I made this dish on easter and spent a good 30 minutes caramelizing down these onions. As they were cooking, my hubby said mmm I bet rosemary would go really well with this. My mom and I agreed but we didn’t have any on hand. We thought, well the neighbor down the street has a huge bush of it, go snip some off! As Matt went out to look for it he sees a rosemary bush right in my parents yard. Then my mom remembered OH YEAH!! We totally planted that!! haha
We had a good laugh.
SO THEN! We added rosemary, then wilted a little kale.
I scooped out most of the inside of the sweet potatoes and mixed that with the onion kale mix.
And scooped it back into the shells….
And make googley eyes at them….
Topped with Gruyere and baked again! You can totally take off the cheese to make this Paleo & whole 30 but it was a special occasion and gruyere is the reason this life is worth living.
Pin it! 🙂
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 2 large onions)
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 3 cups packed, chopped kale
- 1/2 cup of gruyere cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes for 45-60 minutes or until a fork can easily piece the skin.
- While they are cooking, bring a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and when it is melted, add the onions. Stir occasionally for about 20- 30 minutes or until onions are nice and brown. Then add in the rosemary and kale. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes of until kale is slightly wilted. Pour it into a bowl and set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out most of the insides except for a thin layer so they can maintain their shape. Add the insides into the bowl with the onion mixture and mash and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scoop mixture back into shells evenly and top with a bit of cheese.
- Reduce the oven to 350 and bake them for 30 minutes. Serve warm & enjoy!