Five Spice Beef & Broccoli
Are you a fan of Pho? To be honest I didn’t really discover the stuff until last year. I had heard of it but never had the urge to go because I had no idea what I was missing out on. So last year Matt and I thought we would give the our local Pho restaurant a try. And people, it is a day I will never forget. This discovery led to our infamous Pho Friday and a crazy obsession with the stuff. Obviously the noddles in Pho are not Whole30 approved, but I just really wanted that sweet, earthy, savory amazing taste that came with it. Cut to > Chinese Five Spice. Little did I know that this combination of flavors was the exact thing I loved about pho. The origin of this combo isn’t quite nailed down, but some people say that the Chinese were trying to create a “wonder powder” by mixing five spices that hit on the five flavors of sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, and salty. This makes so much sense too because it has always been a flavor I just couldn’t put my finger on… and it’s because you can’t! So when my friends at Simply Organic sent me some spices, I was beyond THRILLED when I saw a jar of Five Spice Powder. I opened it up to smell and it immediately made me feel like I was eating a warm bowl of Pho. So that brings us to this beef & broccoli. The wonder flavors compliment beef so well and I just can’t help but add veggies to everything. It is loaded with tasty ingredients like coconut aminos and my favorite way to thicken sauces – arrowroot! It comes together super quickly too and I love serving it over Cauliflower Fried Rice!
The sauce is the best best… Make sure to pour it all over your bowl!
Perk of keeping old take out chopsticks… 🙂
Pin it puhlease?
Simply Organic provided me with these products but the views are completely my own!Print
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 lbs flank steak, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon Simply Organic 5 Spice Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Pepper & More (or just pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Simple Organics pepper blend
- ½ cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups of broccoli cut into small florets
- Salt & Pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, arrowroot, garlic, rice vinegar,1 teaspoon 5 spice powder, sesame oil, pepper blend and broth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Take thinly sliced steak and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon 5 spice powder and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix with your hands until evenly coated.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet and cook the steak until it starts to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add sauce and stir in with the steak, it should start to thicken immediately. Add broccoli and cook for an additional 2 minutes until broccoli is tender and sauce is thickened.
- Serve over cauliflower fried rice!