Good Granola Morning!!! What is better than a really good granola on some yogurt or a smoothie bowl?! My qualifications for a good granola are flavor and CRUNCH factor. Most recipes just consist of oats and nuts, but I wanted more crispy crunch! I got some Sprouted Brown Rice Crisp Cereal from Thrive Market and saw them while thinking about this granola debacle. And yes this qualifies as a debacle! My only fear was that the liquids in the granola would make the crisps less crispy… so I was pleasantly surprised that they were SUPER crispy!!! The perfect amount of crisp and perfect flavor from the hazelnuts, cocoa powder and maple syrup made for the best smoothie bowl topper evaaa! My inspiration for this granola is my lovely husband!! It was his birthday yesterday but we celebrated on Monday. We knew it was going to be an afternoon of indulgence so we fueled up in the morning with super green smoothie bowls topped with this granola!! A close 2nd love to me in his life is nutella and all things chocolate hazelnut, but we never have it in the house because it is just packed with sugar! This granola recipe hits the flavor mark with none of the refined sugars of that tasty spread. It is sweetened by maple syrup and that’t it! Total win in my book. Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY HUBS!!!
Then mix up your liquidy ingredients and pour over the dry.
Lay on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes!
Voila! I didn’t get any pics of this on our smoothie bowls but this stuff it perfectly acceptable to eat straight out of the bowl too!
Chocolate Hazelnut Granola
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup sprouted brown rice crisp cereal (i use the brand “One Degree”)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup ghee, coconut oil or any other oil (coconut will make it taste coconutty)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2–3 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl combine oats, brown rice crisps & hazelnuts. In a separate smaller bowl, combine ghee or oil, salt, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla. Once that is combined, pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until they are well coated. Pour onto the cookie sheet and spread out into one even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. ENJOY!