It is officially time to start using pumpkin. I try not to over do pumpkin treats during fall so they hold their magical goodness. You really can’t over do something you love or it will become a top 40 song that you can’t bear to listen to one more time. With the recent heat wave I have been getting so excited for it to get chilly and start the holiday season. So when it dipped below 80 this week I thought it was appropriate. I am so happy I made this loaf. It was all kinds of delicious. Trust me on this and make it soon. Roasting the pumpkin seeds in cinnamon and a bit of salt added another dimension to this delight and made it just perfect. The best part? Few ingredients and it whips together in no time! Score.
Moist, not too sweet, perfect amount of spice.
I took this to work and it got gobbled up pretty fast. Get the season started and make some for yourself!
Iced Pumpkin Loaf with Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl add all of the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Sift the dry ingredients together. In a smaller bowl mix together the 2 beaten eggs, pumpkin, oil, and the vanilla. Once your wet ingredients are combined, pour over the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Do not over-stir the mixture. Pour into a 9×5 or 10×4 inch loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for approximately 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn the pumpkin bread onto a cooling rack.
- Keep oven heated to roast the pumpkin seeds. In a small bowl combine raw pumpkin seeds, 1/2 vegetable oil & 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir until pumpkin seeds are coated. Pour onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until they start to brown. Remove and let cool.
- In a small bowl combine 1 1/4 cups of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Stir until combined. Once pumpkin loaf has cooled, pour icing over to cover. Once icing has coated the top, sprinkle the roasted pumpkin seeds to cover. Let icing set and enjoy!