I had a new first yesterday! I made biscuits for the first time. It was suprisingly easy! I took lots of pictures so I instead of me rambling on about how to do it, just check it out…
Cut that butter into that whole wheat flour/sugar/baking powder/cream of tartar/ salt.
Pastry cutters make life easier.
Mo Chedda – Mo Betta?
Mix with some buttermilk and an egg to form a soft dough.
Cut them into circles using a biscuit cutter or circle cookie cutter.
Place on non-greased baking sheet.
Brush with heavy cream.
Sprinkle with black pepper.
Bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees.
Then serve with butter…
Or make a breakfast sandwich with eggs and chicken apple sausage!
Cheddar and Black Pepper Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (use all-purpose if you don’t have whole wheat)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- a touch of heavy cream and black pepper for topping the biscuits before baking
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cheddar and black pepper and toss to combine. In another bowl, combine egg and milk and beat lightly with a fork. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead until combined, about 15 times. Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter or cut into 2×2-inch squares. Reshape and roll dough to create more biscuits with excess scraps. Brush tops with a bit of heavy cream and a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately with softened butter or top with meat and eggs as breakfast sandwiches.
- Slightly adapeted from Joy the Baker