What a long weekend it has been! Full of food and fun. I have many recipes to share but I am going to start with the dessert, as it should be! My weekend started out as any good one should, with happy hour. My sister and I decided to check out the new Whole Foods in town. It has a bar! Wine and beer, pizza and sushi. I had the most delicious beer, but it is only at Whole Foods on tap, and isn’t bottled. Such a shame… but gives me an excuse to go back!
On Saturday my mom and I went to the Taste of Orange County. It was a delightful little festival full of restaurant and alcohol tastings. I’ll let these pics speak for themselves…
Oh yes. Hefeweizen from Golden Road. Tri-tip, potato salad and beans from Hunter’s Steakhouse. Refine Cosmopolitan with Absolut manderin vodka. NY strip and lobster mash from Mastro’s Steakhouse. There is a possibility that I had another beer and a quesadilla… Don’t you love cheat days? That turn into cheat weekends…
Fathers Day around my house is a lovely day. All my dad asks for is his favorite meals – which I love! A day to try new recipes and perfect old ones is a dream. For dessert we had Apple Cinnamon Galette. This was the first time I have made a galette, but it will definitely not be the last. Another simple and delicious one for ya!
First you peel and slice some apples, and mix them with brown sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Then just unroll a refrigerator pie crust and dump the apples in the middle.
Then fold the outer 2 inches over the apples and crimp to secure.
Then brush the crust with milk and sprinkler with sugar. Nuts are optional, but I threw some pecans (dad’s favorite) on top, along with some butter.
Just toss this beauty in the oven for 30 minutes…
Yummm! Then maybe some ice cream??
Try it, you will not be disappointed!
Apple Cinnamon Galette
- 5 Granny Smith apples (about 2 lbs.), peeled, cored and sliced
- 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Center the pie crust on the prepared pan in a 12 inch circle. Combine apples, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl; set aside. Spoon the apple filling in center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border uncovered. Sprinkle filling with pecans; dot with butter. Fold outer dough onto apples, pleat the edges, and leave opening in the center. Brush dough lightly with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover the galette with a sheet of Aluminum Foil to prevent over browning. Continue baking 5 to 10 minutes longer or until juices bubble and apples are tender. Cool 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.