, , ,

Whole30 Trader Joes Must Haves

Whole30 Trader Joes Shopping List - Trader Joes is the perfect place to find all of your Whole30 needs! From meat to nuts to coconut milk, there are endless options to find!

Hi friends!!  I have been dying to write this Whole30 Trader Joes Must Haves post since I finished Whole 30!!  First I told you about my must haves for Costco, then I went over everything you need to get from Thrive MarketAmazon, Aldi, Target and Ralphs/Kroger.  NOW it’s time to share what I loved and used all the time during Whole30 from Trader Joes!  I know not everyone has TJs, but it is one of our favorite places we shop for our weekly groceries.  It was a HUGE lifesaver to be able to pick up tons of pre chopped organic veggies and quality meat, as well as these convenience foods!  Here is my list for Whole30 Trader Joes MUST HAVES!!  PDF of full list HERE!

1. Whole30 Trader Joes Frozen Veggies:

These are my favorites from the frozen section!  I use the frozen cauliflower rice all the time, especially in my Cauliflower Fried Rice.  I also use the bell pepper and onions in the fried rice, stir fry, burrito bowls or with burgers!  The Mashed Sweet Potatoes are seasonal but when they come around they are perfect for a quick microwaveable side. Just mix in some salt, pepper and garlic powder!

2. Whole30 Trader Joes Meats:

Let’s talk meat options at Trader Joes.  There are 3 types of frozen burgers that are compliant: Turkey Burgers, Chili Lime Chicken Burgers & Grass Fed Angus Beef Burgers!  There are also 2 compliant chicken sausages: Garlic Herb & Spicy Italian! These are great for dinners and lunch but I love chopping them up with eggs for breakfast too. And of course the Applegate hot dogs are a great easy meal option that kids love!

3. Whole30 Trader Joes Veggies:

While all vegetables are Whole30 compliant, these packaged & pre chopped veggies make life so much easier on Whole30!  Cauliflower & Broccoli rice is great cooked up with some spices, broccoli slaw is great roasted or cooked in a pan with eggs for breakfast, and the Crunch mix is a great salad base. The cauliflower rice is perfect in my Cauliflower Fried Rice – we use it all the time!!

4.  Whole30 Trader Joes Fridge items:

These are some of my favorite fridge picks.  Guacamole is the best healthy fat and I try to have some every day on Whole30 to keep me full. Sauerkraut is great for your tum as the fermentation is great for gut health! If you like pickles you will love this stuff! The chopped veggies mix is great for stir fry and the pre cooked sweet potatoes are FAB to add to meals with no effort.

5. Whole30 Trader Joes Pantry Staples:

Oddly there is only one marinara sauce that is Whole30 compliant at TJs and not everyone is able to find it! The Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce is fab and no added sugars or oil! YAY! Perfect for my Cheeseless Chicken Parm! I use tahini ALL the time and love it in my simple tahini sauce.  I put that stuff on veggies, meat and anything else I like.  As for pickles you will find that most on the market have added yellow dye and sugar.  These Kosher Dill Pickles are clean and so tasty!

6.  Whole30 Trader Joes flour, milk & butta:

When you want to breaded anything on Whole30, coconut & almond flour will be your best friend! I use a blend of the two in my Whole30 Chicken Tenders and they are SO good! These two coconut milks only have coconut in them! They are great in sauces, soups  or in your coffee in the morning. And of course GHEE! Love this stuff for cooking meat on the stove top.

7.  Whole30 Trader Joes NUTS!

All nuts at TJs were great but we especially loved snacking on these hazelnuts… and not only because they satisfied a nutella craving! I love using nuts to make homemade nut butters or my Nutty Seedy Cacao Bites!

8. Whole30 Trader Joes Snacks:

So on Whole30 they don’t recommend lots of snacking, but if you are hungry between meals you need to eat!! Epic bars & RX bars are my favorites and at most TJs! The Chicken Sriracha is compliant and most RX bars are too!

9) Whole30 Trader Joes Drinks:

I love their simple sparkling waters but these are my go to!  Coffee obviously.. obsessed.  And these Spindriff drinks are great because they just have a little bit of natural fruit juices and carbonated water.

This is really scratches the surface of all of the great finds out there.  I also love their frozen chicken thighs, and dates!!

FULL SHOPPING LIST PDF HERE!

Finding it hard to eat vegetables everyday on your Whole30? This eBook can help make them extra delicious!!

55 replies
  1. Marie says:

Just starting to eat healthy like your recipes and can’t wait to try them thanks for accepting me to your site

2. Kim S. says:

I looked at the spaghetti sauce yesterday at my Trader Joes. It has soy in it which is not allowed on Whole 30.

• Kelsey says:

The Garlic one doesn’t have soy! If it has SOY in the allergen section that just means it has been processed in a facility with Soy which the Whole30 people say is fine!

3. Julie says:

This was so helpful! I got most of the suggestions (they told me mashed sweet potatoes were seasonal) but after I got home I noticed the ghee says, “contains milk.” Is that a new mention?

• Kelsey says:

Oh actually! I think the ghee just states that is comes from milk (as butter/ghee are made from milk!) But ghee is allowed of whole30 as it is cooked in a certain way to remove the milk solids!

4. Suzanne says:

Trader Joe’s Rack of Lamb with Herbs – Rack of Lamb, Parsley, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Roasted Garlic (Roasted Garlic, Water) Sea Salt, Thyme, White Pepper.

5. Kerry Veith says:

I just went to my trader joes and they didn’t have any spaghetti sauce with that label and even their organic ones has sugar listed in ingredients. I even asked for help and the guy was not familiar with that sauce/label. I’m puzzled….help!

• Kelsey says:

So strange!! I haven’t looked for it recently, maybe it is out of season or something?! If you are looking for marinara, the Organic Kirkland Marinara from Costco is amazing!!! 🙂

6. Kim says:

I went to Trader Joes yesterday for two things I needed for my Whole30 meal plan, I had NO idea so many goodies were available!! Thanks for posting!!!

7. Jessica says:

Hi there! I loved reading this post. I was wondering if you have one of these shopping lists for Sam’s Club? We love Costco, but the nearest one is a couple hours drive away, so we have a Sam’s membership. Thanks!

• Kelsey says:

There isn’t actually maple syrup in them!! It is just a natural flavor which the Whole30 community has deemed compliant but definitely don’t eat them if it is too much of a sugar dragon trigger! They are best for a pre or post workout snack to get you to your next meal!

8. Patricia says:

Kelsey, do you think you could compile a list for Wegman’s? Also a good bacon to try is Pedersen’s. It has the Whole30 logo on it! Thank you for providing the list I saved it for my Whole30 shopping. You are a life saver!

• Kelsey says:

Oh thanks Patricia!! So glad you found it helpful!! I wish I could do Wegman’s but I live in California and we don’t have them! And I love Pedersen’s too, so delish!!

9. Kim says:

Thanks for all the info. Question. Balsamic vinegar, most have sulphites. I seen one at whole foods yesterday that didn’t list sulphites in the ingredients, however it did say down below, contains natural occurring sulphites. What are your thoughts?

• Kelsey says:

I would say that natural occurring is okay! I surprisingly found a complaint one at costco last year, not sure if they still have it! But that one sounds okay to me!

10. Sue Sierra says:

Hi! I’m new to the Whole30 program. I’m on day 15 and staying strong. I was wondering if there is a Whole30 compliant mayonnaise somewhere. I know I can make my own, but I’d also like to find one I can buy. Thanks!

11. Casey says:

Just FYI… TJ ghee still contains milk. If you look at the label it states that. I’m lactose intolerant and it still causes milk allergy affects if I use their ghee.

• Kelsey says:

Yes it does! But the milk solids are removed and it is fine for whole30! But maybe not for lactose intolerance!

• Lori says:

Isn’t milk milk? How is it determined that the milk fat is removed? It’s confusing sorry, my 1st week and not going good but the 2nd week will be better.

• Kelsey says:

Hello Lori! No problem, the milk on this list is Coconut Milk which comes from coconuts vs. dairy milk from cows which is not compliant. Coconut and almond milks are compliant and a great alternative! There are 2 types of coconut milk, one with all of the fat and one where they take out some of it! Both are great for different reasons and recipes!

12. Lori says:

I went to Trader Joe’s, don’t normally shop there because it’s a bit expensive but the only place to find a few things. I will tell you though I think you need to read the label better on the clarified butter, the ingredients say that is does contain milk.

So glad I did not open it, it’s going back today but the recipe I needed it for did not taste right without it

• Kelsey says:

So it does say that but it is just a warning if you are allergic or something there are trace amounts but enough is removed for it to be Whole30 compliant!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] of Trader Joe’s, there are some great lists for compliant food items out there. This one was super helpful. I picked up a few of the suggested items this past week and I’m liking […]

2. […] a Trader Joe’s run this afternoon to stock up on things I didn’t have.  Followed this Pinterest post for great Whole 30 compliant items available […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!