, , ,

Whole30 Roasted Garlic Mayo

Roasted Garlic Mayo - whole30 approved and so tasty! Love this healthy mayo as a starter for sauces and dips!

If you are like me you have stayed clear of mayo for awhile because you know its full of fat and super processed oil.  This is true for the bargain brands at box stores, but I had never thought about making it myself!  I have been using greek yogurt instead of mayo in chicken salads and tuna for years which has been a great replacement, but whole30 = no dairy!  And it also = lots of good fat!  Their philosophy is that good healthy fats help you to feel full and satiated, which I totally agree with!  This Christmas was so fun and I was so excited to get the Whole30 Book and It Starts With Food.  I can’t wait to keep reading them this week while Matt and I are up in the mountains!  One last little celebration before we kick this thing into full gear!  But I couldn’t just make plain ol mayo, I just had to add some flavor to it!  And of course that flavor had to be roasted garlic!  If you haven’t roasted garlic before it looks a little like this… v

Here is the line up!

Creamy goodness!! We will be using this as a base for lots of yummy stuff this month!

Whole30 Roasted Garlic Mayo

5 from 1 reviews

Ingredients

• 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1-1/4 cup of light olive oil, divided
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top off of the bulb of garlic and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes. Now you have roasted garlic (YAY!). Squeeze garlic out of their casing and set aside.
  2. Place the egg, 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard powder, reserved garlic, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly. While the food processor or blender is running, slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil. After you’ve added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add lemon juice to taste, stirring gently with a spoon to incorporate.

24 replies
    • Kelsey says:

The egg actually doesn’t cook!! This mayo uses raw egg but it is safe to eat until 1 week after the expiration on the egg carton!

1. Alesha says:

I’m guessing that if I left this out overnight before refrigeration (maybe because I confused it with another mayo recipe that was supposed to be fermented) that it’s probably bad now?

2. Jenna says:

I tried this today and…big bummer! Mayo was so bitter that the aftertaste made it completely inedible. I used all the same ingredient brands as seen in pictures so I can’t figure out what gives. Garlic was perfectly soft and not burned. Confused on this one as it seemed so promising. I’d love a Whole30 mayo 🙁

• Kelsey says:

Thats so strange!! I would try it with no garlic as just a basic mayo if you need one! Could have been the garlic!

• Christine says:

I had the same problem. So bitter and awful tasting. Any idea how to fix it? Followed the recipe exactly…

• Kelsey says:

Weird! You have to put the oil in verrrry slowly for it to thicken up and was the garlic roasted into a mush?

3. Tania Alexander says:

I just made this garlic mayo and it turned out delicious and fabulous! (I was careful to use just the white part of the roasted garlic cloves). Thanks for this recipe! I was having a hard time finding store mayonnaise without any sugar or canola oil – I have the avocado oil Whole 30 spread but it has no flavor – this is perfect!

4. Heather says:

Going to make this tonight and wondering if the egg has to be at room temperature. I’m so excited to try this!!!

• Kelsey says:

Oh it should by then end of pouring the oil in! You do need to pour the oil in verrrrrry slowly for it to work!

5. Lauren Flannery says:

Mine thickened up perfectly, but the longer it sat in the fridge the thinner it got. Is this normal?

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!