Pallet Headboard

As spring has sprung and summer is approaching, the sun and warm weather make me a very happy girl.  Not to mention that tomorrow is a very special anniversary for me and a boy I really like!  Isn’t love a wonderful thing?  I adore love stories and hearing about how people get together.  Want to hear one?  No, not about me, but about my sister.  My dad tells this story to random women in the paint department of Home Depot, so I might as well share it with the world.

I have two older sisters and they are both THE BOMB.  Like really awesome people.

Moving on.  One of my sisters met a boy at a wedding last summer in Colorado, where she was living at the time.  They met, danced, and had a great night together.  But he lived in Montana.  So for the next few months they talked on the phone and the next thing you know they were spending Thanksgiving with his family and Christmas with our family.  We met him, and we loved him!  A few months later she moved to Montana!

So, like any good family, my mom and I jumped on a plane and headed up to the big sky country to help her decorate her room.  For the whole month before, we were dedicated to pinning ideas for her room, and insisted that my mom, sisters and I to make a special board for the occasion.  We decided the focal point of the room would be a pallet headboard!

The process was relatively simple if you have the right tools and the right group of gals, or guys, to help out.  We started by pulling apart a pallet.

Thats my mom!! Hi mom!!!  We had to take turns with this because those nails can be tricky to pull out.  Once we got all of thee pieces we needed, we had to determine how high and how wide we wanted it to be.  Once we knew we wanted it to be 5 feet wide, and the pallet pieces were 4 feet long, we knew we had to cut a couple pieces into 4, 1 foot pieces.  Once all of the logistics were figured out, we used an electric hand sander to get the wood nice and smooth.

On the ends of the pieces we attached a bracket to hold to 2 pieces together.

Next we lined up the wood how we wanted it to look and flipped it all over.  We took 3 spare pieces of wood and screwed them into the back to keep everything together.  We also used gorilla glue as an extra precaution.

We also knew we wanted a design on the wood so we bought a wall decal at Target, and put together branches of a tree on the wood.

Then we used a stain my sister picked out, and let it dry!

We thought going in that we could do it this way, then take the decal off and the branches would just be unstained.  But, like any project, things didn’t work as we planned.

The stain bled through and the lines of the branches were not as defined as we had hoped.  But, that is why someone invented paint!

After a simple task of painting inside the lines, we were finished!  An easy, and inexpensive way to add a rustic and cute look to any bedroom! Note: Bedding is by Amy Butler!

You might also like:

Comments

1. maddie says

I love the whole look! Where did you get that bedding? Any idea what it is called?

2. Nancy Nimmo says

Better than sleeping under the stars….
    And kinda like a new branch of two families begun to grow.
    A Big Sky kind of idea……very very clever.
    And very romantic.

3. Kelsey says

It is attached to the wall! My sisters boyfriend did this segment of the project. He got hanging brackets from Lowes and mounted them on the back of the headboard. He found the studs in the wall and marked them. Then my sister determined how high she wanted it to be, placement, etc. He then just screwed the hooks into the studs, made sure they were level, and attached the headboard! Hope this helps!

4. Kelsey says

Hello Michelle! Please see the description on how to hang it on the comment above. Thanks!

5. Shelly says

I love this idea! The bedding looks great with the headboard! Where is the bedding from?

6. Megan says

Not only do I love the headboard, but I LOVE those sheets/bedding. Where are they from?

7. says

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely
    well written article. I will make sure to bookmark
    it and come back to read more of your useful info.

Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

8. Angeli says

I am inspired by this DIY the moment I saw this on Pinterest <3 that
    I decided to make my own headboard, I used gel stain instead of liquid one (gel stain didn't bled) and it worked out pretty good! Thanks so much for posting this!

9. says

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess
    I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

10. Charles says

Great diy project! Going to make one myself for our bed, very inexpensive if you already own your own drill. Haha

11. Holly says

I agree with the ladies that are loving the bedding as well. I did see your post of it being by Amy Butler, yet what is the name of the style. She has so many and I can’t seem to find the one you have.

12. Holly says

Sorry, here is an update on my own question.. Lol. The bedding is Amy Butler (Sari Bloom). I found a 10pc set on eBay for $290.00
    1- queen duvet
    1- decorative twist pillow
    2- Euro shams
    2- standard shams
    1-queen sheet set (fitted & flat sheet, two standard pillow cases.)

Just incase anyone else was looking for it as well.

13. says

VEry inspired. We are making a version of this for our living room wall. The pallets are built and now I’m going to start painting. :) Thanks!

14. says

I love this headboard, very well done. I especially love the power drill in the last pic, it’s a must have for every girly bedroom. ;)

15. says

What a great use of wall decals! We’ve toyed around with the idea of using them as stencils, but I’ve never seen such detailed photos and info on the process. The end result looks fantastic! So glad I came upon this post. :)

— Nicole @ RoomMates

16. laika says

Beautifully done and inspiring. And ya, with the AB bedding set, just gorgeous. Have just ordered the set! Now it’s time to find a pallet.

17. Deb Weyrich-Cody says

Hi Kelsey, LOVE your headboard! You may want to get one of Lee Valley Tools “Cat’s Paws” to pry those pallets apart before next time. I was just using mine tonight (we’re building a shelving unit out of reclaimed pallets: ) These are – there are several types and sizes of each – truly AWESOME tools: )

Trackbacks